Cares melt when you kneel in your garden.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

2010 Goals for the Garden

I am "having goals" this year, rather than "making resolutions." Goals for my garden and in almost every area of my life. I figure I may not reach all the goals, but by striving to reach them, I'll almost certainly end up ahead of where I would have been without them. Here is my initial list of garden goals for 2010. Not all are vegetable garden related.



  1. Soil amendments starting NOW to combat the totally worthless soil mix we purchased to fill our raised beds. Yeah. The stuff that's apparently devoid of any nutrients whatsoever.

  2. Related to #1, test the soil pH and plan amendments accordingly.

  3. Determine the proper dates to seed each vegetable and flower, either for transplant or direct seeding, and (this is the tricky part) stick to the plan.

  4. Do my best, within the bounds of the soil improvements I can make in one season, to harvest enough produce to preserve some for future use.

  5. Related to #4, try my hand at canning, pickling and freezing (even if I have to buy produce).

  6. Plan a winter garden that actually produces fresh produce throughout the winter.

  7. Try to figure out why yields were so poor on my tomatoes last year and improve on that performance.

  8. Complete the planting of my sunny garden and add my "personal patio" with chair and table.

  9. Re-design the foundation planting in the front of the house. Possibly add a bench.

  10. Add a fourth bench rock to the front seating area.

  11. Improve the grassy areas in the front yard using weed control, fertilization and watering.

I think that's it. This list is pretty off the top of my head, and while the vegetable garden goals are pretty firm, the others are flexible at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment